Sinister Smile Press is looking for a First Reader/Publishing Assistant Intern
Do you foster a love of literature and stories? Do you believe in the power of the pen? Are you motivated by a desire to discover hidden gems of literary beauty and bring them to light while learning about the publishing business?
If you answered an enthusiastic “YES” to these questions, then you are exactly who we are looking for to join the Sinister Smile Press family.
What does a First Reader/Publishing Assistant do?
The first reader's responsibility is to read submissions for each open call, and to decide if the story or manuscript merits being passed up the line to a senior editor.
The first reader will pay attention to readability, story originality, plot line, writing style and ability, reader engagement, compelling characters, formatting, and adherence to theme. If the story is something you would enjoy reading, then we probably would too, and so will our readers.
Publishing assistant responsibilities can include but are not limited to: creating and responding to social media posts, providing input on blurb copy, cover design, corresponding with submitters/authors as needed, and some clerical work.
Our internships are entirely online, so applicants from anywhere in the world can participate in this internship as long as they have access to WiFi and internet. Typically, we expect interns to dedicate approximately 15-20 hours a week to first reader responsibilities and other duties. Schedules are flexible and can be worked around intern’s lifestyle and family obligations.
Qualifications for First Reader/Publishing Assistant
· You are an avid reader and enjoy a variety of genres, including horror, suspense, and thrillers
· Are able to dedicate necessary time to reading and meeting deadlines
· Excellent written communication skills
· Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking in the English language
· Ability to work with a team and on your own with little supervision
· Must have own computer and internet access
· Technologically savvy including proficiency with Microsoft Office programs
· Social media experience preferred
To apply for the internship, click the button. Thank you for your interest!