IF I DIE BEFORE I WAKE
The Better Off Dead Series
If your story is selected for publication, you will be asked to sign a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the following terms:
Please note that we will not consider making changes to these terms. Please only submit a story if the following terms are agreeable to you.
This agreement is between Sinister Smile Press, LLC of P.O. Box 637, Newberg, OR 97132, hereinafter referred to as the “Anthologist,” and the person named above hereinafter referred to as the “Author.”
Concerning an anthology to be compiled by the Anthologist entitled “IF I DIE BEFORE I WAKE – TALES OF THE OTHERWORLDLY AND UNDEAD - THE BETTER OFF DEAD SERIES - VOLUME 5” (the “Anthology”):
1. The Author hereby grants permission to the Anthologist to print the Story listed above in the Anthology, to be published by Sinister Smile Press in the English language, in all countries throughout the world. The Anthology as a whole may be licensed by the Anthologist to other publishers for foreign language or audio editions. This permission constitutes first World-English rights, as well as non-exclusive world Anthology rights and non-exclusive audio Anthology rights to the Story.
2. The Anthologist offers a one-time payment of forty ($40) dollars. The amount is to be paid by PayPal within forty-five (45) days of the Anthologist's acceptance of the Story manuscript and the Author’s submission of this form.
3. The Author represents and warrants that the Story has never been published before and agrees not to publish or permit others to publish the Story in any form prior to its publication and appearance in the Anthology and for a period of twelve (12) months after the publication of the Anthology, without the prior written permission of the Anthologist.
4. The Author represents and warrants that he/she holds the rights to the Story, and that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Story does not contain any libelous material and is not in violation of any rights of privacy or any other rights of third persons, and does not violate any existing common law or statutory copyrights.
5. The author grants permission for the Anthologist to copy edit and line edit his/her Story as needed before publication.
1. The volume as a compilation shall be copyrighted and published by Sinister Smile Press. Acknowledgment of the Author’s copyright shall appear in the volume as follows: “Story Title” © “Author Name”, 2021.
7. The Author grants permission for transcription of the Story into braille, audio, talking, or oversized book, in the case that book or Story is selected for such transcription by a non-profit organization for the handicapped.
8. The Author grants permission for Anthologist to reprint the Story in future publications, such as a multi-volume collection or omnibus.
9. All rights not specifically granted in this agreement are reserved by the Author.
10. The Author shall receive one free copy of the paperback edition of the Anthology within forty-five (45) days of publication. Additional paperback copies, as well as hardcover copies, may be ordered by the Author through Anthologist for the cost of the books plus shipping and handling fees.
11. This memorandum of agreement shall be interpreted under the laws of the State of Oregon.
12. If the Anthologist fails to publish the Anthology within 24 months of the date of this Agreement, all rights granted hereunder shall immediately revert to the Author. In such event, the Author shall retain any payments made under this agreement prior to such reversion.